Autumn is here, and that has historically harkened the arrival of three things: school, football season and new television shows.
Well, two of those things are still true(ish). TV? Not so much. Streaming giants like Netflix and Disney+ are as likely to drop hot new shows in February or June as they are in September or October. But while traditional broadcast networks might not be as big a piece of the entertainment pie as they used to be, they’re still plenty big. And those giant broadcast and streaming networks have new fare worth talking about … even if they’re not worth watching.
Meanwhile, one topic transcends every season: social media. Facebook and Instagram have been in the spotlight far more than either would like for the last several weeks. Adam Holz and Jonathan McKee dig past the headlines and tell families what they really need to know.
So as the old TV announcers used to say, don’t touch that dial! (Even if that dial is a touchscreen.) And feel free to check out everything we talked about in the links below.
Oh, and once you’re done there, why don’t you dawdle on over to (somewhat ironically) Facebook or Instagram, send us an email at [email protected], or call us at 800-A-FAMILY (800-262-3459) and answer these questions:
What shows are you most interested in seeing reviews for this fall?
What’s your own personal pick for the best show in the last 10 years or so?
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: The Teen’s Guide to Face-To-Face Connections in a Screen-To-Screen World: 40 Tips to Meaningful Communication by Jonathan McKee
- Plugged In Review: The Americans
- Plugged In Review: Loki
- Plugged In Review: Cobra Kai
- Plugged In Review: How I Met Your Mother
- Plugged In Review: The Wonder Years
- Plugged In Review: La Brea
- Plugged In Review: Lost
- Plugged In Review: Squid Game
- Plugged In Blog: “Getting Started With Parental Controls on Netflix”
- Plugged In Review: The Lost Symbol
- Plugged In Television Archives: https://www.pluggedin.com/tv/
- Plugged In Blog: “Netflix’s The Social Dilemma Paints a Sober Portrait of Tech’s Influence”
- Plugged In Blog: “The Plugged In Show Episode 46: Examining The Social Dilemma and Our Interaction With Social Media”
- Plugged In Blog: “Latest Bombshell Proves that Social Media is Not Our Friend”
- Plugged In Review: Social Animals
- Plugged In Blog: “Social Animals Showcases the Inspiring, Terrifying World of Instagram”
- Plugged In Blog: “What’s Wrong With Instagram Filters”
- Plugged In Blog: “What Parents Need to Know About Instagram Reels”
- Plugged In Blog: “The Plugged In Show Episode 78: Instagram for Kids? The Experts Say No Way!”
- Plugged In Blog: “Easy Instagram Perfection? Not!”
- Plugged In Blog: “Entertainment, Media and Mental Health: The Influence of Social Media”
- Plugged In Blog: “Culture Clips: TikTok Trouble”
- Emily’s CC Pick: “23 Power Players Using TikTok to Shape the Music Industry in 2021”