Back in television’s dark ages—and we’re talking waaay back, like the early 1980s—most folks watched their favorite shows a bit at a time. They had no choice: Episodes came out weekly, and recording devices were for rich people. So if you wanted to watch The A-Team back then, well, you had to park yourself by the family TV set every Tuesday at 8 p.m.
Those days are long gone, thanks to streaming services and our on-demand world. Instead of stretching television seasons across several literal seasons, viewers can digest one in a weekend (or even in one night, if they drink enough coffee). A show’s entire run can be consumed in just a few weeks. Or even days.
We’ve probably all binged a show or two like that. Some of us may binge most everything we watch. It helps us chime in on pop culture conversations and stay in the know. Some might even find gobbling up a show in its entirety improves it. After all, it’s a lot harder to forget the previous episode’s twists and turns in a matter of seconds versus a matter of days.
But we know that bingeing on food or alcohol isn’t exactly good for you. Does binge-ng on entertainment come with some pitfalls, too?
We’ll talk about that issue on this episode of The Plugged In Show. And then, after that stirring conversation, Emily Clark and I will turn our attention to a show that surely plenty of people have binged: Netflix’s period drama Bridgerton. And if that wasn’t enough, we’ll play our usual game of Pop Culture Connection.
Please join us. And after you listen, chime in with your own thoughts on Facebook, Instagram or, of course, via email ([email protected]). And, after listening, if you decide to binge on a few more episodes, don’t worry: We won’t tell.
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: Parenting Generation Screen: Guiding Your Kids to Be Wise in a Digital World by Jonathan McKee
- Plugged In Review: Bridgerton
- Plugged In Review: The Amazing Race
- Plugged In Review: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- Plugged In Review: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- Plugged In Review: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- Plugged In Review: Justified
- Plugged In Review: Heartland
- Plugged In Article: “Put Down That Remote: Binge Watching Can Be Bad For You”
- Plugged In Article: “Reducing Screen Time: A Surprisingly Simple Strategy”
- Plugged In Review: Sanditon
- Plugged In Review: Leave No Trace