It’s an age old question that’s popped up in pop culture practically since pop culture was a thing: If it feels right, how can it be wrong?
Google that question, and you’ll find a bunch of songs that riff on this idea, one way or another. But it’s bigger than music. Indeed, it’s bigger than the subject of sexual morality, too—the place we often think about the way this seductive idea creeps into our worldview and our decision-making. We often encounter entertainment that makes an emotional, even seductive plea that tempts us to jettison what we know and believe to be true because it runs counter to our feelings.
How do we learn to recognize those moments? How do we help our children grow in this area of wisdom and discernment, teaching them to recognize the ways that feel-good entertainment might actually be undermining the integrity of our decisions and beliefs?
We’ll be unpacking these questions on The Plugged In Show podcast this week. So we’d like to invite you to take a listen, as well as engaging with the links and content below related to this week’s show.
- Questions to ask your children to help them discern feel good messages from truth:
- “What do you think would happen if someone actually did that in real life?”
- “What do you think would happen to these characters after the credits roll—how do you think their decisions might have affected them?”
- “What do you think Scripture says about some of the emotionally based decisions the characters made?”
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: Seven Traits of Effective Parenting by Daniel Huerta
- Plugged In Review: The Kissing Booth
- Plugged In Review: The Kissing Booth 2
- Plugged In Review: The Perfect Storm
- Plugged In Review: Walk the Line
- Plugged In Review: Brokeback Mountain
- Plugged In Review: Miley Cyrus, “Party in the U.S.A.”
- Plugged In Review: The Black Eyed Peas, “I Gotta Feeling”
- Plugged In Review: Thirteen Reasons Why book review
- Plugged In Review: 13 Reasons Why Season 1
- Plugged In Review: 13 Reasons Why Season 2
- Plugged In Review: 13 Reasons Why Season 3
- Plugged In Review: 13 Reasons Why Season 4
- Plugged In Review: Cobra Kai
- Focus Podcast: 13 Reasons Why Podcast
- Focus Article: 13 Reasons Why Not
- Counseling: Focus on the Family Counseling Services and Referrals
- Focus Article: Do Your Kids Know How to Handle Their Emotions?
- Focus Article: Learn to Identify Your Emotions
- Focus Article: Helping Children Understand How They Feel