There’s no glass ceiling in pop music. Many of today’s hottest singers are women—and most are about the same age as their young fans. Stars such as Olivia Rodrigo, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande are all making their mark and burning up the charts. But while the singers themselves might be young, some of their messages—and lyrics—can be adult in the worst sort of way.
Our Plugged In Team will unpack the pros and cons related to these talented musicians, and we’ll do our best to help parents navigate the musical minefield.
Speaking of parents, Tom Hanks—sometimes called America’s Dad—has a new movie out on Apple TV+. And true to form, he’s serving as an imperfect father figure to a … robot? Finch is sweeter and more serious than it sounds. In fact, it was one of the better movies I’ve seen this year.
Oh, and then of course we wrap up the show with our always enthralling Culture Countdown. Take a look below to see everything we talked about this episode. And if you have a spare minute or two, think about the following questions:
What did you think about our conversation today? Who was your favorite female pop singer and/or song when you were young? What concerns do you have about today’s singers? Are there any you have questions about now?
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: Burning Bush 2.0 by Paul Asay
- Plugged In Review: Olivia Rodrigo, “Drivers License”
- Plugged In Review: Olivia Rodrigo, “Good 4 U”
- Plugged In Review: Olivia Rodrigo, Sour
- Plugged In Review: Olivia Rodrigo, Happier Than Ever
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, “When the Party’s Over”
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, “Therefore I Am”
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, The World’s a Little Blurry
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go
- The Plugged In Show Episode 77: “Billie Eilish: The Worldview of Self-Expression”
- Plugged In Review: Ariana Grande, “Positions”
- Plugged In Review: Ariana Grande, “God Is a Woman”
- Plugged In Review: Ariana Grande, Dangerous Woman
- Plugged In Review: Ariana Grande, “34-35 Remix”
- Plugged In Review: Dua Lipa, “New Rules”
- Plugged In Review: Dua Lipa, “Levitating”
- Plugged In Review: Dua Lipa, Future Nostalgia
- Plugged In Review: Dua Lipa, “Don’t Start Now”
- Plugged In Show Episode 10: “A Look at Billie Eilish”
- Plugged In Show Episode 13: “The Influence of Music”
- Plugged In Show Episode 39: “When Pop Stars Outgrow Our Kids”
- Plugged In Show Episode 60: “What Are the Kids Listening To?”
- Plugged In Review: Finch
- Jonathan’s CC Pick: “Kids nearly doubled screen time during the pandemic, but there is something you can do about it”
- Paul’s CC Pick: “A Georgia judge banished the Elf on a Shelf: ‘My gift to tired parents’”
- Kristin’s CC Pick: “Everyone wants to own the metaverse including Facebook and Microsoft. But what exactly is it?”
- Adam’s CC Pick: “From bankruptcy to IPO in a year? It’s a tune Guitar Center might play”