On Monday, I compared the modern Olympics to a movie reboot—a re-imagining of the classic (or classical?) ancient Greek version. Every two years or so (counting the Summer and Winter Games), we get a sequel of sorts—filled with new characters and storylines but following the same familiar patterns.
The Olympics are many things: a gathering of the world’s best athletes, a massive sporting event, a chance to celebrate the ideals of global unity while passionately, and paradoxically, cheering for our home nations.
But more than anything, the Olympics is entertainment. It always has been, even in its earliest days. And Plugged In is, of course, about all things entertainment.
So, it’s only fitting that the Plugged In team dives into a characteristically passionate discussion of the Olympics on this episode of the Plugged In show. We dig into its controversies, critique its commercialism, and encourage you and your family to become active, not passive, participants in the show. Because as with all forms of entertainment, the Olympics have their worldview issues and moments of problematic content to wade through, too.
So listen to our team race and jump from point to point (linguistically speaking), and follow along with the links and resources below.
- Interaction question: What’s your favorite Olympic sport or memory? Let us know on Facebook or Instagram.
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: 7 Traits of Effective Parenting by Dr. Daniel Huerta
- Plugged In Blog: “Culture Clips: Putting the Olympic Flame on Hold”
- Plugged In Blog: “Mourning the Olympics’ End”
- Plugged In Blog: “The Gamer in the Olympic Laurel Leaves”
- Plugged In Blog: “The Olympics: Life Real Life, Only Better”
- Plugged In Blog: “The Olympics Are Over. Were You Impressed?”
- Plugged In Blog: “Monkey See, Monkey Do—Olympics Style”
- Plugged In Blog: “Olympics Fever: Catch It or Wash Your Hands?”
- Plugged In Show Episode 63: “Brady. Mahomes. And … Plugged In?”
- Focus on the Family Broadcast: “Overcoming Adversity Through Faith and Sports”
- Focus on the Family: Setting Media Standards
- Focus on the Family: Making Wise Entertainment Choices
- Plugged In: Tech Guide