By now, most folks have probably heard of Billie Eilish, the 19-year-old California singer who’s taken the pop world by storm. In some significant ways, Eilish has built iconoclastic brand by challenging traditional celebrity stereotypes.
That has been especially true with regard to her image. Whereas sultry, skimpy self-sexualization is often the norm when it comes to young female singers, Eilish has largely refused to play that game. Instead, she’s famous for wearing baggy jumpsuits and outfits that couldn’t be further from the pop-singer paradigm.
But Eilish also seems to be a quick study when it comes to another building block for lasting fame: the art of reinvention. Like so many stars before her, she’s changing things up. Eilish recently did a photo shoot for British Vogue wearing, well, let’s just say a lot less than usual. And she defended the change by saying, “It’s all about what makes you feel good.” The magazine’s headline also described the change as an “Internet-Breaking Transformation.”
This week on The Plugged In Show, we talk about Billie Eilish’s changing image, why it matters for teens and how her personal philosophy of self-fulfillment is actually not so different from the many pop stars who’ve come before her after all. So take a listen to Episode 77, and be sure to check out these resources and links related to this week’s show.
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: 7 Traits of Effective Parentingby Dr. Daniel Huerta
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, “Your Power”
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, “My Future”
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, “Therefore I Am”
- Plugged In Review: Bille Eillish, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, “Everything I Wanted”
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, Don’t Smile at Me
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish, “When the Party’s Over”
- Plugged In Review: Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry
- Plugged In Blog: Culture Clips: Billie the Kid Takes Home Five Grammys
- Plugged In Blog: Culture Clips: Billie Eilish Confronts Objectification in a Surprising Way
- The Plugged In Show, Episode 10: A Look at Billie Eilish
- Focus on the Family: Setting Media Standards
- Focus on the Family: Making Wise Entertainment Choices
- Plugged In: Tech Guide
- Focus on the Family: How to Develop Media Intelligence in Your Home
- [email protected]