LISTEN TO THE PLUGGED IN SHOW, EPISODE 146
About a year ago, Amazon Prime Video’s Lord of the Rings prequel, called The Rings of Power, began to generate publicity buzz. And not just for bringing back J.R.R. Tolkien’s franchise to the small screen for the eye-watering sum of $465 million for the first season alone.
No, the news here was much more controversial: actors had been required to sign contracts that indicated that there might be explicit content on the show—perhaps an attempt to emulate Game of Thrones’ wild success on HBO Max.
Well, at least so far, the producers have kept things pretty much in the same content arenas the movies. But that doesn’t mean that there’s nothing to talk about. In this episode, we’ll discuss what we’ve seen so far, as well as talking about whether the Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon is as problematic as its predecessor. On the lighter side of things, our second segment will dive into the new Disney+ series Hamster & Gretel, brought to us courtesy of the same guy behind the long-running series Phineas and Ferb.
So take a listen, and then tell us what you think about this week’s discussion. Are you watching Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power? Or Hamster & Gretel? What do you think? You can share your thoughts on Plugged In’s Facebook and Instagram accounts, or shoot us an email at [email protected]. We’d love to hear from you.
And be sure to check out the links below that we reference in the show!
- Plugged In TV Review: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power
- Plugged In TV Review: House of the Dragon
- Plugged In TV Review: Game of Thrones
- Plugged In Book Review: Game of Thrones
- Plugged In Blog: A Lesson from the Game of Thrones. (No Really.)
- Plugged In TV Review: Hamster & Gretel
- Plugged In TV Review: Phineas and Ferb
- Focus on the Family: Setting Media Standards
- Focus on the Family: Making Wise Entertainment Choices
- Plugged In: Tech Guide
- Focus on the Family: How to Develop Media Intelligence in Your Home