Back in the 1970s, singer/songwriter Larry Norman asked, “Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?” Music-loving Christians have been asking versions of that question for decades. And then sometimes they ask another, equally important question. “Is secular music really of the devil?”
We dive into those perilous questions and more on this episode of the Plugged In Show, and our own Adam Holz tells you all about the drastic way he answered that second question as a young man. (I won’t spoil it for you, but sensitive fans of cassette tapes might want to plug their ears to escape the carnage.) We talk about music more broadly, too. Because as much time as we spend watching our entertainment, what we listen to can be, in some ways, even more powerful.
And while we’re on the subject of power, we’ll examine Disney+’s newest Star Wars show, The Book of Boba Fett, where our titular character is discovering just what it means to hold power on the fractious, crime-riven planet of Tatooine. Does the show itself take off like a jet pack? Or does it crash-land in the stomach of some hideous desert monster? Adam and I talk about it here.
And, of course, we wrap up the show with our wildly popular, incredibly unfair Culture Countdown. Which seems only right, given that we make every second of this podcast count.
When you’re done listening, chime in with what you think about the Christian v. secular music conversation on Facebook and Instagram. (Or just send an email to [email protected], if you’re so inclined.)
And, as always, peruse our show notes to read about everything we talked about in this episode.
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: Burning Bush 2.0 by Paul Asay
- Plugged In Show, Episode 13: “The Influence of Music”
- Plugged In Show, Episode 47: “The Fascinating Influence of Christian Rap”
- Plugged In Show, Episode 60: “What Are the Kids Listening To?”
- Plugged In Show, Episode 96: “Is Rock Dead? No One Told Skillet … or Switchfoot … or Imagine Dragons”
- Plugged In Review: The Book of Boba Fett
- Plugged In Review: The Mandalorian
- Jonathan and Adam’s CC: Pick: “Of Algorithms, Eating Disorders and Social Media”
- Paul’s CC Pick: “Oscars Will Have a Host Again in 2022”
- Kristin’s CC: Pick: “TikTok will become the most important social network for marketing (??!)”