We all know that technology makes us lazier, right? Thanks to the remote control, we don’t need to get off the couch to turn down the volume. Thanks to computers, we don’t need to sprain our wrists working with abacuses (abacusi?). And what mother has ever told her kids, “Bobby, Susie, all that sunshine will rot your brains! Come in here and watch some TV!” Give a child a screen, and you might need to hold a mirror underneath his nose sometimes to see if he’s still breathing.
But that’s not the way it has to be.
As we flip the calendar to a new and hopefully better year, the Plugged In team takes a look at some bits of technology that just might make you, your spouse and your children healthier—apps that encourage exercise and video games that force you to flex those literal muscles a bit, not just the digitized ones we see on screen.
So stretch your legs, take a few cleansing breaths and get ready to listen. We can’t promise that you’ll get healthier in the next half-hour. But you just might discover how you can get there. (And, as always, be sure to check all the links below to see what the team talked about this episode.)
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: Seven Traits of Effective Parenting by Daniel Huerta
- Plugged In Show Blog: “The Day My Life Became a Video Game”
- Plugged In Review: Pokemon Go
- Plugged In Show Review: Wii Fit
- Plugged In Show Review: Just Dance 2
- Plugged In Show Review: Just Dance 3
- Plugged In Show Review: Just Dance 4
- Plugged In Show Review: Just Dance 2014
- Plugged In Show Review: Just Dance 2015
- Plugged In Show Review: Just Dance 2016