The video game world is on the verge of another generational shift. This fall—just in time for the holidays, of course—Sony and Microsoft will be releasing their next generation gaming consoles, the ever-so-imaginatively named PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.
But don’t let my sarcasm fool you: These new machines will deploy truly revolutionary graphic upgrades and a level of realism onscreen that will be nearly indistinguishable from watching a movie. The implications for that kind of quantum leap forward are both exciting … and troubling. And this week on The Plugged In Show, we’re going to take a deep dive into what these new systems will mean for the millions of families who’ll likely be playing one by Christmas Day.
This week, we’re also making an addition to this normal podcast-focused blog. From now on, we’ll be putting links to items mentioned in the podcast here for you to peruse. So take a listen to this week’s conversation, check out the links below, and be sure to stop back next week for our discussion on cancel culture’s impact on society.
- Gift of Any Amount: The Guy’s Guide to Four Battles Every Young Man Must Face by Jonathan McKee:
- Plugged In Blog: The New Gaming Consoles Will Soon Be Here. Are You Ready for Them?
- Plugged In Blog: Culture Clips: We’re All Playing Games
- Plugged In Blog: Unreal Engine 5 Changes the Game (in Ways You Might Not Expect)
- Plugged In Blog: https://pluggedin.focusonthefamily.com/grandma-loves-gaming/
- Plugged In Blog: Grandma Loves Gaming
- Plugged In Game Reviews