LISTEN TO THE PLUGGED IN SHOW, EPISODE 136
We’re all probably guilty of saying it. And who knows, we might even mean it: “Wait, I just want to check one thing.”
Thirty minutes later we look up, and we realize that that one thing turned into a whole bunch of things—especially if we logged on to social media.
We may berate ourselves for a lack of self-control. And certainly that character consideration is an important one to ponder, for parents and kids alike. But the fact of the matter is this: Internet content providers and social media platforms are designed to get you scrolling … and scrolling … and scrolling some more. In fact, one of the screentime experts quoted in the documentary The Social Dilemma said, essentially, We’re trying to get you to give us as much of your time and life as you’re willing to.
And in our second segment, Bob Hoose will talk with us about the new movie Elvis.
So take a listen, and then tell us what you think about this week’s discussion. Do you struggle with the endless scroll on your phone? What practical strategies have you put in place to help with that concern, either for yourself or your kids? You can share your thoughts and experiences on Plugged In’s Facebook and Instagram, or shoot us an email at [email protected]. We’d love to hear from you.
And be sure to check out the links below that we reference in the show!
- Plugged In Blog: The Never-Ending Scroll: How Social Media Keeps Us Hooked
- Plugged In Blog: Deleting My Instagram was Nearly Impossible But I Did it Anyway
- Plugged In Review: Elvis
- Plugged In Review: Supernatural
- Plugged In Review: The Office
- Plugged In Review: Gilmore Girls
- Plugged In Review: New Girl
- Focus on the Family: Setting Media Standards
- Focus on the Family: Making Wise Entertainment Choices
- Plugged In: Tech Guide
- Focus on the Family: How to Develop Media Intelligence in Your Home