Every now and then, something comes along that’s a bona fide phenomenon in Christian entertainment circles. I think it’s very safe to say that the crowdfunded series The Chosen, the brainchild of Dallas Jenkins, fits that description. Two seasons of a planned seven have been released thus far, with a third currently intended for release sometime in 2022.
Until then, the makers of this remarkable, gritty glimpse into the life of Christ and His followers have given us a gift to tide fans over: Christmas With the Chosen: “The Messengers.” In this episode, we’ll talk about the special now showing in theaters around the country courtesy of Fathom Events. We’ll also discuss the series overall, and how it might give us a fresh perspective on the Gospel story.
And in our second segment, I talk with The Chosen stars Jonathan Roumie (who portrays Jesus) and Elizabeth Tabish (who plays Mary Magdalene). If you’re a fan of this groundbreaking look at the life of Jesus, you won’t want to miss that conversation. So take a listen, and be sure to peruse the links related to this week’s show below.
Finally, if you’re a fan of The Chosen, we’d love to hear from you. What’s your favorite episode? Who’s your favorite character in the series, and why? You can let us know on Facebook or Instagram. (And you can always write to us at [email protected] or call at 800-A-FAMILY, too.)
- Gift of Any Amount Offer: The Chosen: I Have Called You By Name by Jerry B. Jenkins
- Plugged In TV Review: The Chosen
- Plugged In Book Review: The Chosen: I Have Called You By Name
- Plugged In Blog: Plugged In Pick, TV: The Chosen
- Plugged In Blog: The Plugged In Show, Episode 54: The Chosen and the State of Streaming Christian Content
- Plugged In Blog: An Interview With Dallas Jenkins, Creator of The Chosen
- Plugged In Blog: In a Sea of Entertainment Delays and Cancellations, The Chosen Sails to Season Two
- Focus on the Family Article: Inside Look: The Chosen Book Series
- Jonathan’s Culture Countdown Pick: The Power of the TikTok Holiday Gift Guide
- Kristin’s Culture Countdown Pick: Young man who was accidentally invited to ‘grandma’s’ Thanksgiving as a teen celebrates 6th year of dinner together
- Adam’s Culture Countdown Pick: Streaming craze cooling off? Nearly half of Americans plan to cancel subscriptions over rising costs
- Focus on the Family: Setting Media Standards
- Focus on the Family: Making Wise Entertainment Choices
- Plugged In: Tech Guide
- Focus on the Family: How to Develop Media Intelligence in Your Home